Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Mardi Gras!...Guest Post # 3...Gluten Free King Cake


I am excited to have Michelle D'Ettorre doing the 3rd guest post!  Michelle is my office space buddy (aka we sit right next to one another and chat all day long), co-worker, fellow baker and southerner.  Plus, she shows me the cutest videos of her baby boy and I totally try to show off pictures of my nephews.  Oh and did I mention she makes home made dog treats (Barked Goods) and is a blogger herself (Mrs. Alexandria).  Michelle is a great gluten-free baker who only uses unprocessed sugars when baking.  Michelle has helped me to broaden my gluten-free baking adventures, always giving me new ideas and reasons to try new things.  I was super excited to have her do this King Cake just in time for Mardi Gras!   Enjoy!

Direct from Michelle:

When Lauren asked me to write a guest blog I got a little nervous. As readers of her blog, you know she is very creative and talented when it comes to cakes and confections.  I am a new mom with little time to spare and I am best known for quick and easy meals and tricks like my fake-out alfredo sauce.  I had trouble coming up with a recipe that I deemed worthy of her blog.  I have been Gluten Free for over 2 years and I can tell you from first hand (and full tummy) experience that Lauren's Gluten Free goodies taste just as good as the Gluten kind, so I knew this one had to be worthy of something she would create. After several attempts and a powdered sugar explosion in my kitchen I give you just in time for Mardi Gras, Gluten Free King Cake!


The ingredients


Sugar, cinnamon and butter


Piping the filling


Cake all ready for the oven.


Frosting
(Side note from Lauren....this is an awesome picture!)


Yum!  This cake reheats well in the microwave for 15-20 seconds!

Gluten-free King Cake: 
Dough:
1/4 c. warm water
1/4 c. milk
1/2 c sour cream
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp softened butter
1 egg slightly beaten
2 c gluten free Bisquick
2 cups gluten freebread flour
1/2 cup Brown riceflour
1 packets yeast
1/2 tsp nutmeg
3 1/2 tbs raw canesugar
1 tbs cinnamon

Cinnamon SugarFilling:
1/2 c raw cane sugar
1/4 c brown rice flour
1 tbs cinnamon
3 tbs. melted butter

Cream Cheese Center:
1 package cream cheese(room temp)
1 c powdered sugar
1 tbs milk
1 tsp vanilla

Frosting:
reserved filling fromcream cheese center
1 tsp vanilla
1c powdered sugar
1 Tbsp milk

Decoration:
Purple, Green and Goldcolored sugar

Dough Prep:
1.  In a Large bowlcombine all wet ingredients.

2.  In a separate bowlcombine dry ingredients.

3.  Slowly add dryingredients to the wet and mix. (I started with my paddle attachment on mymixer and then as the dough began to form I switched to my dough hook.)

4.  The dough shouldnot be sticky and should be easy to work with.  Add more brown Rice flour asneeded.

5.  Roll the doughinto a large rectangle (I rolled my dough on top of foil sprayed with cookingoil to help with rolling the dough.)

Filling Prep:
1.  Mix together cinnamon sugar ingredients set aside

2.  In a separate bowlmix together Cream cheese center ingredients and set aside

Assembling the Cake:
1.   Preheat the oven to 375 F.  

2.  Once the dough isrolled into a rectangle, spread the cinnamon sugar filling across the entiresurface. Next place 1/4 cup of cream cheese filling in a piping bag or Ziploc bag and cut off the end. Place a 1" stripe of cream cheese down thelong side of the rectangle closest to you. Roll the dough jelly roll style intoa log. Transfer the log to a baking sheet (sprayed with cooking oil) with theseam side down. Form the log into a ring and use a little water to help moistenand seal the ring. Mist with cooking spray and cover with a cloth for 30-45 minutesfor the dough to rise.

3.  Bake the cake for 20minutes or until the top is golden brown.

4.  While the dough isbaking, take the left over cream cheese filling and prepare the frosting. Addthe remaining ingredients and mix.  The consistency should be firm enough tostay put, but soft enough to drape.

5.  When the cake hascooled slightly (but is still warm), drizzle with frosting and sprinkle withcolored sugar (each color should cover approx 1/3 of the cake).
Pin It

1 comment:

  1. yum! i just recently had my first king cake. i'm sure i'd like a gluten-free version too.

    ReplyDelete